Easy, fun and when your little ones are older they can join in too.
Cook rating: Easy
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Should make: 12-15 straws
(I did it completely wrong and made 9! So follow the instructions)
I was looking for something that I could do that was easy and one my son could help with in the future.
What you need to make this tasty dish
I only really measure out baking because that why there is less chance it will go wrong.
50g butter, little extra for greasing
100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
50-75g of cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
A little bit of cold water, if needed.
Optional: Chilli (for the adults)
What you need to do
I like to get my ingredients measured and ready before I start, I find it saves on time.
- Preheat oven to 220C/400F/Gas mark 6 and lighly grease a baking sheet
- Put the flour in the bowl and cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the flour.
- Using your hands (or a blender) rub the butter and the flour so the mixture is like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and mix well.
- Make a well in the mixture and add the beaten egg.
- Stir the mixture till it becomes a dough, add a little bit of water if needed.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead with your finger tips
- Roll the dough into thick pencils shapes approx. 10-15cm long and place approx. 2cm apart on the baking sheet
- Cook for 10 minutes or until gold brown. I cooked mine for around 15 minutes as I made them too thick (follow the rules!!)
- Take out of the oven and cool
My Little Man is a year old and loved this.